Rules and Regulations
PARTICIPATING RADIO STATIONS
JIM BEAM MAKING HISTORY TALENT SEARCH
RULES & REGULATIONS
- Artists Online Submissions Entry: JAN 16, 2017 12:01am – FEB 3, 2017 11:59pm
- Judging Panel: FEB 4, 2017 12:01am – FEB 11, 2017 11:59pm
Top 5 regional winners are selected for each city of Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Montreal.
- Regional Finalists are contacted as to their availability and eligibility to perform at the regional showcase event and grand prize event.
- Artists perform live before a panel of local judges. One (1) Regional Winner is announced at each regional showcase event (dates to be determined).
- Each regional winner will receive an invite to perform at 2017 Canadian Music Week Festival.
- Each regional winner (4) in total will be automatically entered into the national Jim Beam Make History Talent Search competition.
- Grand Prize winner to be selected by a panel of music industry judges. The winning artist will be chosen to perform live at Indies Awards at Canadian Music Week on April 19, 2017 in Toronto.
- Jim Beam Make History Talent Search grand prize includes return travel (if applicable), accommodation based on double occupancy, complimentary passes to Canadian Music Week Festival and per diems.
DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES
Competition opens Monday January 16, 2017. All entries must be submitted no later than 11:59pm on Friday Feb 3, 2017.
- The Jim Beam Make History Talent Search competition is open to emerging artists and bands who compose and perform original material. (Entrants may be either individuals or a group comprised of 2 or more individual members.) The entrants must not be signed to a major record label. The competition is not open to directors or employees of the sponsoring stations or competition judges. Entrants must be of legal drinking/purchase age in the province of entry to be eligible to participate.
- All entrants must submit one original song in an mp3 format or submit a live performance video link (i.e. via YouTube) to local station website or www.indies.ca. The song entry may not exceed five (5) minutes in length. Finalists should be prepared to perform their song in a live environment for the selected music industry panel at the regional and national live performance events.
- The lyrics entered must not include or contain any material that is obscene, offensive, defamatory, pornographic, threatening or abusive, content that is otherwise objectionable or would be deemed inappropriate, unsuitable or offensive, all as determined by the radio station in its sole discretion. The station reserved the right to disqualify any entries that contain the elements previously described. The same applies if video is requested.
- Entrants can submit one entry to the participating station in their closest market only. Entrants cannot submit to any radio station outside of their market. Subsequent or multiple entries will be disqualified.
- Entrants and their collaborators will retain full rights to all work submitted for the contest. The entrant warrants and represents that the songs(s) submitted are sole, exclusive and original works of the entrants.
- Jim Beam Make History Talent Search judging will be comprised of industry professionals, Canadian Music Week staff, radio stations, print publications and other celebrity judges. Entries will be judged on the following criteria:
- songwriting quality – originality, lyrics, melody, composition
- artist or band performance
- production & creativity
- overall musicianship of artist or band
- Five (5) indie or emerging artists will be selected from regional entries to perform live at a showcase event at a local live music venue in each participating market (Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Montreal) (dates and venues to be announced). Twenty (20) finalists in total competition.
- Regional winners will receive an invite to play at the Canadian Music Week Festival, complimentary registration.
- Only one national winning performer of the Jim Beam Make History Talent Search, artist/band, are invited perform live at the Jim Beam Indies Awards ceremony and provided return travel to Toronto (if applicable) and accommodation.
- Entry constitutes permission to use winner’s names, likeness and voices for future publicity and advertising purposes without additional compensation. If there is more than one writer per submission, all co-writers must sign letter of agreement for the song to be submitted, and must abide by all criteria to enter.
- Canadian Music Week, the station and sponsor (Jim Beam) shall have the right to use the song/video at their sole discretion, which comprises the lyrics and music of the entrant. The station and sponsor are not obligated to pay any royalties or fees of any kind to the author/entrant, except for the prize, should the entrant’s song be selected as one of the prize winning entrants.
- Entrants can only win the Grand Prize as awarded.
- The competition is subject to all federal, provincial and municipal laws and regulations that may be applicable. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY.
- All decisions made by Canadian Music Week, the station and music industry panel with respect to the acceptance of any entry and eligibility of entries shall be final and binding. Jim Beam Make History Talent Search reserves the right to extend the deadline of the competition and/or announcement of winners if needed.
- Entrants hereby agree to indemnify and hold harmless the competition entities (including Canadian Music Week, all participating radio stations and all sponsors) from and against any and all third party claims arising out of or resulting from (1) the entrant’s participation in the talent search; or (b) any breach or alleged breach of any of the warranties, representations, or agreements granted, made by or entered into by a entrant. The winners release sponsors from all liability regarding prizes won. All federal, provincial and local taxes, when applicable, are the sole responsibility of the winner.
- FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THESE TALENT SEARCH RULES MAY RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION.