Who can apply?
Any artists/bands/solo performers who are Canadian residents, not signed to a Major label, and 19 years or older at time of entry/submission.
Which Cities/Provinces are recordings taking place in?
Studio locations are pre-selected in key markets per province, as follow: British Columbia: Vancouver | Alberta: Calgary | Manitoba: Winnipeg | Ontario: Toronto | Quebec: Montreal | Nova Scotia: Halifax
I don’t live in any of those Provinces! How can I apply?
You may select the closest Province to you. Artists can only submit themselves to ONE Province.
Does CMW/Jim Beam cover my transportation or other costs associated with being a Provincial Finalist?
No. It will be your sole responsibility to get to/from the recording studio should you be selected as a Provincial Finalist.
Is there a specific genre of music I have to play?
No. All genres of music are eligible, with preference given to English and French languages.
Can I use cover songs for my submission or as a Provincial Finalist?
No. All material submitted as an Applicant, or recorded as a Provincial Finalist, must be original. You must own the rights to the publishing, and ensure all clearances are in place prior to submitting your material.
Is there any cost to apply?
Do I receive anything for applying?
Each applicant will automatically receive a complimentary delegation registration for the virtual 2021 Canadian Music Week, including Festival.
When will the recordings take place in studios?
All recording dates will be scheduled late March through April 2021. Artists will be required for only one (1) day, for a maximum of 4 to 5 hours. **All dates are subject to change should COVID-19 restrictions impact recording locations.
If I am a Solo Artist, can I hire a band for the studio recording?
Yes. All Provincial Finalist Artists are welcome to hire/arrange for their own team of session musicians at their own expense. Solo Artists do not need to provide us with session musician names until you are notified and accept your position as a Provincial Finalist.
NOTE: CMW, nor Jim Beam will source session musicians for any Finalist.
How many Artist Finalists are there per Province?
Three (3), for a total of 18 finalists in overall National Talent Search.
How are the three Artist Finalists selected?
All Artist submissions are reviewed by an industry jury and narrowed down to the Artists who have kick ass music. Having great social media profiles won’t hurt either!
When will I/we be notified if being offered a Provincial Finalist position?
Sometime between to March 7 and 14, 2021. You will have 48 hours to confirm your acceptance from the time of notification.
How will I be notified to be offered a Provincial Finalist position?
Someone from the CMW team will use the Email and Telephone details that are submitted under the Main Contact for the Artist/Band Submission.
What will be expected of me as a Provincial finalist?
- Perform one (1) original song in a live studio recording setting which will be multi-camera video-taped, then edited into a final video to use online for Public viewing and voting.
- Promote the heck out of yourselves as finalists on all social media platforms to your fans, friends, family, etc.
- Be flexible for scheduling of studio recording date/time and be professional by being on time and prepared to record.
What happens with the Artist Finalist studio recorded files?
- CMW/Jim Beam use them online as part of the final Provincial webisodes, June 6 to 26, 2021.
- They are reviewed and constructively critiqued by three (3) Industry mentors.
- All final produced audio and video files will be given to each Artist Finalist post-event to use as they wish.
Who will own the rights to the songs recorded during and after this Talent Search?
The rights remain with the composers and publishers of song. Each Artist Finalist will agree that CMW/Jim Beam can use the referenced audio/video sound recording for promotional and brand advertising purposes on radio, television, Internet, or other accessible media for public use. There will be no royalties or other payments provided to the artists/composers by CMW/Jim Beam associated with the use of this Song for the term.
How many winners will there be?
There will be ONE (1) Artist selected out of the 18 Provincial Finalists as the Grand Prize Winner.
How will the Grand Prize Winner be selected?
Public voting of their favourite Artist (one per province), as well as industry professionals who will judge Provincial Finalists based on the following criteria:
– Originality / Creativity
– Artist / Band Performance (Overall musicianship of artist or band)
– Charisma / Audience Appeal
– Song Writing
Am I able to change the final recording files at all?
CMW/Jim Beam reserve the rights to have the audio and video files edited to their preference for the purposes of the final online event. If you have differential preferences to tweak in either the audio or video content, CMW will connect you with the correct people to do so at your own expense.
- One (1) Grand Prize winner will perform live at the Indies Awards during Canadian Music Week 2022, in Toronto.
- One (1) Grand Prize winner package also includes:
- return travel (if applicable, from recording studio market location listed above);
- accommodation based on double occupancy;
- complimentary passes to Virtual Canadian Music Week & Festival 2021;
- complimentary passes to Canadian Music Week Festival 2022 + per diems;
- a shopping spree at Long & McQuade;
- One (1) Canadian Musician Success Kit; and
- one (1) single professionally produced, recorded, mixed and mastered courtesy of Metalworks Studios, (in addition to the song recorded for your local contest market).
If I have any questions, who can I contact at CMW?
Kristen will be happy to provide further clarification or answer questions you may have regarding the Jim Beam® Virtual National Talent Search. Shoot her an e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org