Back to Jim Beam Talent Search Main Page
2023 JIM BEAM® NATIONAL TALENT SEARCH
RULES & GUIDELINES
- FREE for bands/artists and solo performers to apply who are 19 years of age or older.
- Band/Artist Online Submissions Entry Deadline: April 7, 2023.
- All genres of music are eligible, with preference given to English and French languages.
- Judging Panel: Top 5 National finalists are selected by a panel of Industry Judges from all submission entries made online this portal.
- Finalists are contacted as to their availability in April 2023 to travel to Toronto on June 5, 2023 to participate in the finalist showcase as part of the 2023 CMW Festival on Tuesday, June 6th at the Drake Underground.
- Selected five (5) Finalists will have their travel costs for flights and hotel arranged and paid for by Canadian Music Week for up to a maximum of five (5) people per band/artist/act as follows:
a. Return flight from your closest airport
b. Hotel accommodations June 5 and June 6, 2023
- June 6, 2023: National Finalists each perform a 20 minute set of their original songs in front of a live audience and panel of Judges. The performances could also be multi-camera video-taped, then edited to produce a final video to use online for Public viewing.
- Each applicant will automatically receive a complimentary Music Summit Conference delegation registration for the 2023 Canadian Music Week Conference (June 8-10, 2023), and CMW Festival wristband (valid for shows: June 5-10, 2023).
- Grand Prize winner to be selected by a panel of music industry judges live at the showcase on June 6, 2023. The winning artist/band will be chosen to perform live at the Jim Beam® INDIES on June 8th, 2023 during Canadian Music Week at HISTORY, in Toronto.
- 2023 Jim Beam® National Talent Search grand prize includes return travel; accommodation based on double occupancy June 5-10, 2023; complimentary Music Summit Conference passes to 2023 Canadian Music Week & Festival wristbands; One Live Performance Masterclass with Tom Jackson (Taylor Swift, Magic!, Shawn Mendes, LeCrae), One (1) original song writing session with Shaun Frank (composer for hit song “Closer” by The Chainsmokers and Halsey), One (1) recording session of original song written at Noble Street Studios with studio engineer David Mohacsi (Alyssa Reid, Three Days Grace, Shaggy, Barenaked Ladies, Summer Walker and many more), Long & McQuade package; One (1) feature article in CMW’s ‘Making Noise’ series, interviewed and written by Karen Bliss (Billboard, Rolling stone), Canadian Musician package; and Professional ‘journey’ highlight video to be produced by CMW; capturing all related CMW/INDIES live event content while in Toronto.
- The Jim Beam® National Talent Search competition is open to emerging artists and bands who compose and perform original material. Entrants may be either individuals or a group comprised of 2 or more individual members. The entrants must not be signed to a major record label. The competition is not open to directors or employees of the sponsoring partners or competition judges. Entrants must 19 years or older to be eligible to participate.
- All entrants must submit their best two original songs in an mp3 format AND submit a live performance video link (i.e. via YouTube) to www.indies.ca. The song entry may not exceed three and a half (3 1/2) minutes in length. Finalists should be prepared to travel/arrive to Toronto on June 5, 2023.
- Finalists should be prepared to perform their songs in the live venue Drake Underground June 6, 2023.
- Finalists should be prepared to remain in Toronto until June 10, 2023 should they be named the grand prize winner at the live showcase on June 6, 2023.
- Finalists should be prepared to have one (1) song to re-work or continue to complete in a writing session with Shaun Frank should they be named the grand prize winner at the live showcase on June 6, 2023.
- All entrants have the option to include a short introduction video about themselves.
- The lyrics entered must not include or contain any material that is obscene, offensive, defamatory, pornographic, threatening or abusive, content that is otherwise objectionable or would be deemed inappropriate, unsuitable or offensive, all as determined by Canadian Music Week in its sole discretion. Canadian Music Week reserves the right to disqualify any entries that contain the elements previously described. The same applies if video is requested.
- Entrants are limited to submit one entry per band/artist, only via www.indies.ca. Subsequent or multiple entries will be disqualified.
- Entrants and their collaborators will retain full rights to all work submitted for the contest. The entrant warrants and represents that the songs(s) submitted are sole, exclusive and original works of the entrants.
- Jim Beam® National Talent Search judging will be comprised of industry professionals. Entries will be judged on the following criteria:
- Originality / Creativity
- Artist / Band Performance (Overall musicianship of artist or band)
- Charisma / Audience Appeal
- Song Writing
- Entry constitutes permission to use winner’s names, likeness and voices for future publicity and advertising purposes without additional compensation. If there is more than one writer per submission, all co-writers must sign letter of agreement for the songs to be submitted, and must abide by all criteria to enter.
- There is no expense to the grand prize winner for the Multi-track Sound recording of song being used for the purpose of the competition, and grand prize winning artist will get to own and have full rights to exploit this recorded version of their song and to enter into any deals with labels or publishers or companies as they see fit. Each Artist will receive a mixed stereo master of audio at no cost.This agreement entitles CMW/Jim Beam®: to use the referenced audio/video sound recording for promotional and brand advertising purposes on radio, television, Internet, or other accessible media for public use. There will be no royalties or other payments provided to the artists/composers by CMW/Jim Beam® associated with the use of this Song for the term. Any broadcast royalties collected by SOCAN from any commercial airplay would still go directly to composers and publishers of song.
- Entrants represent and warrant that their entry, including any material comprising their entry (e.g. name, user name, profile picture, etc., as applicable) and any material submitted with their entry (e.g. photograph, written submission, audio/MP3 files, video, or other form of submission, as applicable) (all such material, collectively, the “Entry Material”) is original to the entrant, have all necessary rights in and to the Entry Material to enter the Contest, including the consent of any third parties whose personal information is included in the Entry Material.
- Entrants can only win the Grand Prize as awarded.
- The competition is subject to all federal, provincial and municipal laws and regulations that may be applicable. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY.
- All decisions made by Canadian Music Week, and music industry panel with respect to the acceptance of any entry and eligibility of entries shall be final and binding. Jim Beam® National Talent Search reserves the right to extend the deadline of the competition and/or announcement of winners if needed.
- Entrants hereby agree to indemnify and hold harmless the competition entities (including Canadian Music Week, all participating radio stations and all sponsors) from and against any and all third party claims arising out of or resulting from (1) the entrant’s participation in the talent search; or (b) any breach or alleged breach of any of the warranties, representations, or agreements granted, made by or entered into by a entrant. The winners release sponsors from all liability regarding prizes won. All federal, provincial and local taxes, when applicable, are the sole responsibility of the winner.
- FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THESE TALENT SEARCH RULES MAY RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION.